[ExI] Early Archives... Re: Yudkowsky 'Humanity's remaining timeline? It looks more like five years than 50'

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Feb 24 16:04:50 UTC 2024

On 2024-02-22 10:43, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:
> From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf
> Of Max More via extropy-chat
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Early Archives... Re: Yudkowsky 'Humanity's
> remaining timeline? It looks more like five years than 50'
>
>> … Here it is, from.... wow, almost 30 years ago.
>

>> …Marvin Minsky wrote 10/30/94: <I don't know why you're so sanguine
> about Zen
>
> enlightenment.  I know of no one who has experienced much of it who
> has also
>
> been able to continue to make significant mathematical or physical
> discoveries….

> If one cruises thru the older archives, one is struck by how much
> longer was our collective attention span back in those benighted
> times.  We had a prominent ExI guy who specifically expressed stern
> disapprobation on the posting of short comments, suggesting a ban on
> one liners.

LOL. I remember that guy and those days. I actually proofread and
revised my emails to the list back then. These days I seldom do. I blame
lack of time and social media for the twitterification of my posts. That
and Bill W. When he showed up and started writing one line emails and
THAT GUY didn't immediately rake him over the coals for it, I realized I
too could get away with it. ;)

Stuart LaForge