[ExI] AI girlfriend bots are already flooding OpenAI’s GPT store

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 15:35:13 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jan 13, 2024, 9:12 AM BillK via extropy-chat <

> loneliness and isolation. Alarming studies show that one-in-two
> American adults have reported experiencing loneliness, with the US
> Surgeon General calling for the need to strengthen social connections.
> AI chatbots could be part of the solution if people are isolated from
> other human beings—or they could just be a way to cash in on human
> suffering.

Why is that alarming?  Loneliness is part of the human experience.  It
motivates us to find connection.   This is the emotional analog to physical
hunger.  Would it be alarming that one in two adults has experienced hunger
in the past week?  Tbh, I'm more concerned about those who aren't reporting
their experience of loneliness because it suggests to me either denial at
one extreme or moderate sociopathy at another.

But in this case the lame statistic is trying to support the point about
how bots are... good? bad? just another consumable used to satisfy a need
or exploit a desire?

I take a step back and read that author as having a predilection to write -
something - but really has no idea how they feels about the subject.  Maybe
THAT is the point?  Writing anything with a strong stance could be
dangerous for a professional writer; ending up on the wrong side of public
opinion could limit future work. So it seems we have a lot of words to say
"nobody knows"