[ExI] Open Individualism

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 21:24:48 UTC 2024

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 21:11, Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

<snip>
> I've no argument with the idea that two humans, no matter how different, have lots in common. Just because two things have lots in common, doesn't mean they are the same thing, though. Two grains of sand have much more in common with each other than I do with some New Zealander 200 years ago, but they still aren't the same grain of sand. Nobody claims "there is only one grain of sand".
>
> I can't make any sense of this 'one person' thing at all.
>
> Ben

Ask an AI -
In Open Individualism, what does it mean to say "There is only one person"?

Answer-
In Open Individualism, the statement "There is only one person" is a
philosophical proposition that challenges the conventional notion of
personal identity and individuality. Open Individualism is a
metaphysical view that suggests that all conscious beings, throughout
all of time and space, are fundamentally the same single universal
consciousness or person.

According to Open Individualism, individual identities are illusory
and arise from the limitations of our subjective experience, rather
than being inherent to the nature of consciousness itself. It posits
that the boundaries we perceive between separate individuals are
ultimately illusory, and that there is a deep underlying unity to all
conscious experience.

In this view, each person's subjective experience is a unique
perspective or "slice" of the same underlying consciousness. From this
perspective, the statement "There is only one person" is a way of
expressing the idea that all individual consciousnesses are ultimately
interconnected and part of a single universal consciousness.

Open Individualism has roots in various philosophical and mystical
traditions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, and certain strands of
Western philosophy. It is a provocative idea that challenges our
ordinary intuitions about personal identity and has implications for
topics such as ethics, the nature of consciousness, and the
relationship between individuals and the universe as a whole.