[ExI] electric vehicles again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 17:54:03 UTC 2024

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 at 16:07, spike jones via extropy-chat

> This kind of stuff is presented in the mainstream press as a joke, but it doesn’t need to be.
> An IC-assisted electric vehicle makes perfect sense in some climates:
>
> The all-electrics have been getting bad press in the recent USA cold snap.  But what if… you really designed a vehicle from a white sheet of paper, with an easily-removable small internal combustion engine, which comes into play only in bad cold snaps and cross country trips?  The heat from the IC would heat the batteries so they continue to have full range, and they could even share the electric drive load.  We could design a cross-country-worthy vehicle which could eliminate range anxiety and cold anxiety but be easily removed when not needed, so the vehicle still has all the advantages of an all-electric ride for three quarters of the year and 90% of the trips.
>
> spike

I don't think you'll get away with this!  :)
Remember, there are people from Nordic countries here.
Norway has many electric cars and in winter there are more rescue
callouts for internal combustion cars.

<https://insideevs.com/news/705338/norway-winter-ev-charging-no-trouble/>
Quote:
How Norway does EV charging in the cold
Norway is one of the coldest countries in the world. It also has the
highest EV adoption rate on the planet, but we can't remember seeing
reports about endless lines at chargers during the winter. Here's what
lessons can be learned from Norwegian EV drivers.