[ExI] qm using ten hundred words

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 20:30:32 UTC 2024

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 at 19:44, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Adrian I am having a lot of fun with this because I am thinking about Orwell’s Newspeak.  Orwell was right on about government influencing speech, but not with the mechanism.  He had language evolve in such a way that it lacked the vocabulary to criticize government.  In our times, the government influences social media companies to influence the content.
>
> spike

Somebody has explained this to the AIs!  They know!
BillK

I requested -
Compare Orwell’s Newspeak vs modern government spin and propaganda

Reply -
Orwell's Newspeak, as depicted in his novel "1984," is a fictional
language created by the totalitarian government of Oceania to
manipulate and control its citizens. It is designed to restrict
thought and limit the range of expressible ideas. While Newspeak is a
fictional concept, there are similarities between it and modern
government spin and propaganda techniques.

1. Manipulation of language: Both Newspeak and modern government spin
aim to manipulate language for political purposes. In "1984," Newspeak
aims to eliminate words and concepts that could be used to express
dissent or independent thought. Similarly, modern governments may use
euphemisms, vague language, or misleading terminology to shape public
perception and downplay negative aspects of their policies or actions.

2. Thought control: Newspeak is explicitly designed to restrict the
range of thought by limiting the vocabulary and eliminating words that
could be used to articulate dissenting ideas. Modern government spin
and propaganda also seek to control public opinion by framing issues
in a way that discourages critical thinking or alternative
perspectives. This can be achieved through selective information
disclosure, cherry-picking data, or employing persuasive techniques to
influence public opinion.

3. Reality distortion: Newspeak aims to reshape reality by limiting
the capacity to express certain ideas or concepts. Similarly, modern
government spin and propaganda often involve distorting facts or
presenting a biased narrative to shape public perception. This can
involve the manipulation of statistics, suppression of inconvenient
information, or the creation of false narratives to control public
opinion.

4. Control of information: In "1984," the government tightly controls
information through the Ministry of Truth, which disseminates
propaganda and alters historical records. Modern governments may also
seek to control information flow through various means, including
censorship, manipulation of media narratives, or the spread of
disinformation through social media platforms.

5. Suppression of dissent: Newspeak is used in "1984" to suppress
dissent by limiting the capacity to articulate opposition or critique.
Similarly, modern governments may use spin and propaganda techniques
to marginalize or discredit dissenting voices, labeling them as
unpatriotic, conspiracy theorists, or spreading fake news.

It is important to note that while there are similarities between
Newspeak and modern government spin and propaganda, the extent and
methods employed may vary across different countries and political
contexts. Additionally, the impact of spin and propaganda in modern
times is influenced by technological advancements, such as the
internet and social media, which have provided new platforms for the
dissemination and amplification of information.