[ExI] US Democrat Playbook

Kelly Anderson postmowoods at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 07:29:18 UTC 2024

As soon as any politician gets too concrete, they lose people. If they
remain vague, then people might assume that the candidate thinks like
they do, which is where psychological projection comes in for the
candidate's benefit. If the candidate promises a fowl in every pot,
many might assume a chicken since that's what they would want or think
they would offer, but you don't know if you get a chicken until after
they are elected, in which case you might get merely a pigeon or an
excuse that congress kept them from giving you a chicken. But the
Democratic presidential candidate (I don't think this applies down the
ticket in any way I've been able to see) seems lately to take this to
a whole new level. The same cannot be said of Bill Clinton or Jimmy
Carter as they had records as governors that could not be ignored.
This seems to be a recent phenomenon, if it is at all.

As for whether Biden will in the end be replaced is up to a few
things. First... can they pump enough amphetamines or whatever the
military is using these days to keep pilots alert for 48 hours at a
time into Joe to make him appear cogent in the remaining debates...
and Second... can they come up with a viable alternative candidate. As
you say Michelle Obama keeps coming up, and it is not without
precedent to "draft" someone into running, seemingly against their
will. Or even better some small state governor that nobody knows much
about, because they make the best blank slates. I don't think the vice
president is likely to beat Trump simply on the basis that she's not a
great debater herself and has some record issues.

On Sun, Jul 7, 2024 at 1:02 AM Gregory Jones via extropy-chat