[ExI] US Democrat Playbook

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 11:22:58 UTC 2024

>  Last one I looked at looked pretty good for Gavin Newsome.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/only-michelle-obama-bests-trump-alternative-biden-2024
among others disagree.  At least Harris is starting to shine on her own,
but it is unlikely she can be convinced to step up.

On Sun, Jul 7, 2024 at 3:30 AM Kelly Anderson via extropy-chat <

> As soon as any politician gets too concrete, they lose people.

This in general would seem to be true.

> As for whether Biden will in the end be replaced is up to a few
> things. First... can they pump enough amphetamines or whatever the
> military is using these days to keep pilots alert for 48 hours at a
> time into Joe to make him appear cogent in the remaining debates...

I can just about guarantee they won't wind up doing that.  Remember,
they're not transhumanists.  Even with such stakes on the line, they don't
(rationally) consider such measures.

> and Second... can they come up with a viable alternative candidate. As
> you say Michelle Obama keeps coming up, and it is not without
> precedent to "draft" someone into running, seemingly against their
> will.

It's not without precedent to want to, even to try to.  But to actually
succeed?  The effort to draft Colin Powell was much more organized and
persistent than the current calls to replace Biden with some undefined
person, to the point that Powell received 3 electoral votes in 2016 against
his will.  But without his consent, such efforts could not get him on the
ballot or into office.