[ExI] Maybe space exploration will be a task for AI humanoids

Kelly Anderson postmowoods at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 07:45:02 UTC 2024

On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 6:06 AM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

> The "political" issue is that this approach would only benefit entities that we specifically breed for this venture.
>
> 1) Those entities are not us.  We ourselves do not directly benefit.  The apparent means of making sure we do benefit amount to slavery.

Just a thought... I wonder if the idea of actual freedom would appeal
to enough people to go into space. If you could have an Atlas Shrugged
sort of economy in space, it seems that would be enough to compel at
least some people to leave this dirt ball with all its messed up rules
behind. If I were younger, that would be enough for me to want to go.
It would also ensure that a certain sort of person never would want to
leave the security of terra firma, giving the colony a better chance
at survival.

As imperfect historical precedent, I propose the founding of white
Australia as perhaps being somewhat along these lines... though only
for prisoners.

-Kelly