[ExI] Zuckerberg is democratizing the singularity

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Thu Jul 25 10:00:42 UTC 2024

On 2024-07-24 13:48, BillK via extropy-chat wrote:

> Well, freedom and democracy into the Singularity and beyond is a nice
> ideal.
> But making powerful AI systems available to everyone means that the
> bad guys can use them also.

The problem with that argument is that the identity of the so-called
"bad guys" is a very culturally and contextually relative opinion. It
might have been more accurate to say that making AI available to
everyone means that one no longer needs to be rich and powerful to pose
a significant danger to others. That is to say that it would no longer
just be the ruling class that had the means to be evil.

And that is certainly true. But that has always been true of knowledge
in general. And this generation of AI is little more than than a
distillation of human knowledge and a hallucinating imperfect one at
that. Should we likewise restrict higher education to the "good guys"?
After all Osama Bin Ladin attended university and allegedly studied
engineering. I myself have enough knowledge and lab experience from my
university days doing microbiology research to weaponize all manner of
pathogens. So do millions of others on this planet. Do you honestly
think that a chatbot is going to make us microbiologists any more of a
threat than we already are?

The thing to remember is that the flip side of your argument is also
true. One will no longer need to be rich, talented, or otherwise special
to create value for oneself or others. It is a positive step in the
direction of the abundance economy. It is just that currently it is
"soft" information commodities that are abundant now. So now ordinary
people can use the technology to produce portraits of their loved ones
that look like they were painted by Michelangelo, or help them write a
lease agreement, but they can't get it to make them a sandwich. . . yet.

In any case, Mark Zuckerberg has already released AI into the wild so
there is no turning back now. In doing so, he has probably prevented
humanity from developing into a borg-like collective and preserved
individuality far into the future. There might be a few tragedies along
the way, but humanity will likely survive. There is no longer much of a
chance of a singleton superhuman intelligence controlling humanity's
destiny; instead now there will likely be many. At this juncture, that
makes Zuckerberg one of the most important people in history.

Stuart LaForge