[ExI] Zuckerberg is democratizing the singularity

Kelly Anderson postmowoods at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 18:45:39 UTC 2024

Zuckerberg has released a version of today's AI. That's nice. That
will probably not be viewed as very important relative to whomever
releases the first AGI or ASI in a similar fashion once you're looking
back at things. How important is it today that Lotus 123 had the first
spreadsheet back in the day? The way you are talking about this
reminds me a tiny bit of the politicians who every four years make the
claim that THIS is the MOST IMPORTANT election in the history of the
world.

What we are doing today in terms of safety is truly critical for the
future, but today's AI isn't as dangerous as the AI that is smarter
than any person. We simply aren't there yet, even though Claude would
likely clean our collective clocks at Jeopardy. If the first ASI isn't
safe, we're pretty doomed. What Meta just released is Improv for NeXT
(going back to the spreadsheet thing for those who might not know what
Improv was. That being said, Improv was superior to Excel in many
ways, and I wish I had access to it sometimes).

-Kelly

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 4:01 AM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat
<snip>