[ExI] From the baby boom to the baby bust

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 09:13:28 UTC 2024

On Mon, 3 Jun 2024 at 01:04, <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> BillK, it might be insightful to study areas where there are already few
> children, a low child to adult ratio, such as the San Francisco Bay area.
> In most places around the bay, it is too expensive to have children, or if
> one goes to the few areas where it isn't too expensive, it is too dangerous
> to raise children.  Overall, birth rates are low, as fertile young people
> are too busy with their careers to do families.  I notice a huge difference
> between here and when I go back to where I cheerfully misspent my own
> childhood.  They have a much higher child to geezer ratio back there:
> families can afford to live.  Here, young single educated men struggle.
>
> There are other examples: retirement communities, such as Sun City Arizona,
> where one must be over 55 to even own a home in some places.  They import
> labor from elsewhere I suppose.
>
> spike

Is Japan the future for western countries?
Japan has solved the housing crisis.
Too many homes, not enough people.
BillK

<https://thedeepdive.ca/japans-housing-crisis-not-enough-people-too-many-vacant-homes/>
Quotes:
Japan’s Housing Crisis: Not Enough People, Too Many Vacant Homes
May 16, 2024 JP Alegre

On the opposite side of the world, the housing crisis isn’t about a
shortage in supply but a shortage of people needing homes. Recent data
released by Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications
show that the country’s number of empty homes continues to rise.

The survey reveals that vacancies have reached a staggering 8.99
million, marking an 80% increase over the past two decades. This means
that 13.8% of all homes in Japan are now unoccupied, with the share
exceeding 20% in some rural areas where population decline is more
pronounced.

The data also highlights a significant increase in the number of
abandoned homes, which has risen to 3.85 million, or 5.9% of all
homes.