[ExI] From the baby boom to the baby bust

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 11:36:36 UTC 2024

What I find very interesting, is why fertility rates are falling. Is it
medical, cultural or both? Probably both, and if so, what's the medical
reason?

As quality of life improves (access to food, shelter, etc.) birth rates go
down.  Historically, many children would die young (which drastically
skewed the statistics on how long the people lived) and so they kept on
having them because they needed them to work the farm and so on and support
them in their old age.  When confidence that the offspring would live grew
to a certain point, they quit trying to have more - birth control obviously
helped here.  This has been true in many countries and now we have places
where the replacement birth rate (having two kids replacing the parents) is
negative.

The fewer the better, I say.    bill w

The fewer the better, I say.   bill w

On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 6:11 AM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <