[ExI] trust the fake science?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Jun 6 14:13:25 UTC 2024

This article is three weeks old, but I didn't hear about it at the time.  It
is behind a paywall, but says that publishers have been flooded with fake
papers generated by AI:

https://www.wsj.com/science/academic-studies-research-paper-mills-journals-p
ublishing-f5a3d4bc?st=7coxnydp5togwhy
<https://www.wsj.com/science/academic-studies-research-paper-mills-journals-
publishing-f5a3d4bc?st=7coxnydp5togwhy&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink>
&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Flood of Fake Science Forces Multiple Journal Closures

Wiley to shutter 19 more journals, some tainted by fraud

By Nidhi Subbaraman <https://www.wsj.com/news/author/nidhi-subbaraman>

Follow

May 14, 2024 8:00 am ET

Fake studies have flooded the publishers of top scientific journals, leading
to thousands of retractions and millions of dollars in lost revenue. The
biggest hit has come to Wiley <https://www.wsj.com/market-data/quotes/WLY> ,
a 217-year-old publisher based in Hoboken, N.J., which Tuesday will announce
that it is closing 19 journals, some of which were infected by large-scale
research fraud.

In the past two years, Wiley has retracted more than 11,300 papers that
appeared compromised, according to a spokesperson, and closed four journals.
It isn't alone: At least two other publishers have retracted hundreds of
suspect papers each. Several others have pulled smaller clusters of bad
papers.  Wall Street Journal

Sheesh.  We now can't tell which of the papers is real and which are fake.