[ExI] trust the fake science?

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Sat Jun 8 16:43:07 UTC 2024

> On Sat, Jun 8, 2024 at 6:11 AM efc--- via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>       Maybe time to learn from how science is done at corporations? Would that
>       improve things? I'm no scientist so I would be interested in hearing from
>       the actual scientists on this list how you would fix the problem in an
>       ideal world.
>

> Depends on the corporation, but I would not call typical corporate science "an ideal world".
> One reason why small businesses are promoted so much in the US for
> doing science is that there is less room for this sort of thing.  The
> business either produces results or it does not; there is in theory
> supposed to be no political connection between the doers and the
> evaluators, so the evaluators have nothing to judge except actual
> results.  In practice, corruption erodes this somewhat but it does
> work to some extent.
>
> Anyone interested in this subject would do well to look up the Small
> Business Innovation Research (SBIR) programs of many of the federal
> departments.  https://www.sbir.gov/about is a good place to start.

Thank you Adrian. Are the small businesses able to make meaningful
contributions? The reason I asked about the corporate is based on two
things...

1. I have some hazy memories of TI and IBM engaging in basic science
either by themselves or together with universities, but perhaps this is
no longer the case or exceptionally rare. I don't know.

2. I think that doing modern basic science is expensive and perhaps
beyond the means and capabilities of small companies.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Daniel