[ExI] trust the fake science?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 18:05:14 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jun 8, 2024 at 12:44 PM efc--- via extropy-chat <

> Thank you Adrian. Are the small businesses able to make meaningful
> contributions?

Most don't, but a few do.  Which ones and how many depending on how you
define "meaningful".

> 1. I have some hazy memories of TI and IBM engaging in basic science
> either by themselves or together with universities, but perhaps this is
> no longer the case or exceptionally rare. I don't know.

They still do some of that.  It's more common for the universities to take
the lead with the corps assisting.

There are also corps that have essentially become organs of the government,
to either do research or supervise other research efforts, much like
mitochondria incorporated into a cell.  The Aerospace Corporation is a good
example of this.  In theory they can be replaced; ULA being slowly replaced
by SpaceX is an example of this, with implications for how SpaceX might
evolve if and when ULA fully gives up the ghost.

> 2. I think that doing modern basic science is expensive and perhaps
> beyond the means and capabilities of small companies.

In many cases you are correct.  One of the challenges posed to
entrepreneurs who want to pursue basic science is how to do it affordably.
I count myself in that category, particularly on some of my current efforts.

(For example: I may be pursuing a PhD, formally beginning at some point in
2025.  My preference would be to finally publish that vacuum balloon idea,
which I think I have hinted at before, as my dissertation topic.  If I
can't commercialize it myself, I can at least publish it openly for all the
world to benefit from - which is generally what's needed for a PhD
dissertation anyway.  What makes it an example here is that I might be able
to tap certain grants to pay tuition and bills from this project, though I
would need to stay on top of budgeting.  The grants are a fixed amount - I
don't get more if it happens to take longer - which is one of the reasons I
would aim to get it done in 3 years, if I can secure the grants in the
first place.  If I can't secure them, this particular plan won't happen, at
least not in this form.  An "externally funded", as the university terms
it, student running their own project is unusual, but happens often enough
that there are established procedures.)

On the other hand, low-budget "citizen science" has long been a thing, with
roots going back well past the 20th century.  Many small business science
projects are essentially citizen science, particularly when the business is
a non-profit.