[ExI] trust the fake science?

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Sat Jun 8 20:34:55 UTC 2024

On Sat, 8 Jun 2024, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat wrote:

> (For example: I may be pursuing a PhD, formally beginning at some
> point in 2025.  My preference would be to finally publish that vacuum
> balloon idea, which I think I have hinted at before, as my

What is your vacuum balloon idea and how can it be commericalized?

> dissertation topic.  If I can't commercialize it myself, I can at
> least publish it openly for all the world to benefit from - which is
> generally what's needed for a PhD dissertation anyway.  What makes it
> an example here is that I might be able to tap certain grants to pay
> tuition and bills from this project, though I would need to stay on
> top of budgeting.  The grants are a fixed amount - I don't get more if
> it happens to take longer - which is one of the reasons I would aim to
> get it done in 3 years, if I can secure the grants in the first
> place.  If I can't secure them, this particular plan won't happen, at
> least not in this form.  An "externally funded", as the university
> terms it, student running their own project is unusual, but happens
> often enough that there are established procedures.)

Is it possible to do a Ph.D. in only 3 years? In sweden it will take you
at least 5 due to demands of having to teach a certain amount of hours
as well.

I often thought about if I should pursue a Ph.D. as a hobby, but 5 years
is not gonna happen.

If 3 years is possible, that might make it possible given the right
arrangements and a flexible school.

> On the other hand, low-budget "citizen science" has long been a thing,
> with roots going back well past the 20th century.  Many small business
> science projects are essentially citizen science, particularly when
> the business is a non-profit.

Ahh... this was my follow up question you anticipated. If any meaningful
contributions in the 21st century have been made by amateurs? The idea
of the noble amateur making a remarkable discovery in his home
laboratory has a certain romantic charm! But maybe it would only be
possible today in "budget" sciences such a computer science were you can
do a lot of experiments and thinking, and rent resources by the second
if you need them.

I wonder if there are any modern superstars of say, philosophy, who
(like many philosophers of old) do not have a degree in philosophy or
an affiliation with a university?

Best regards,
Daniel