[ExI] trust the fake science?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 03:09:27 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jun 8, 2024 at 4:36 PM efc--- via extropy-chat <

> What is your vacuum balloon idea and how can it be commericalized?

A vacuum balloon is a stiff balloon, strong enough to contain vacuum
against 1 atmosphere, l9ght enough to float from the mass of the air
displaced.  The idea's been around since the 1600s but no one's found
structure and materials that can quite pull it off.  It was once widely
thought impossible, but there've been studies recently getting close.  I
think I have the answer - or at least, an answer.

If it works, it would be a far less expensive and better performing
alternative to helium balloons, so it would make airships less costly -
both to build and to operate - and give advantages, such as ability to
repair in the air without carrying spare lifting gas (since one can
manufacture vacuum on the spot) and better tying down in the face of
windstorms (they can dismiss the vacuum and be in no danger of floating
away, then remanufacture the vacuum afterward).  Commercialization is
straightforward if I can get an airship manufacturer interested...which is
the step I've not been able to do yet.  I'm more of an engineer than a
salesperson.

Is it possible to do a Ph.D. in only 3 years?

Heh.  This takes some finangling.  It's usually supposed to take at least
4-5 years (and I've heard that some have taken over a decade), but I did my
BS in 3 years and my MS in 9 months.  I'm looking to apply the same tricks
here; see below.

I have reason to believe that certain others have done a PhD in 3 years
before, even without a relevant MS (done before the PhD and not counted as
part of the PhD) shaving a year or two off the program.

> In sweden it will take you
> at least 5 due to demands of having to teach a certain amount of hours
> as well.

How many hours can you teach, maximum, per quarter or semester?  Can you
teach some over summer?  Can you get credit reducing this requirement from
other things you have done, particularly previous academic work?  Is the
length set by anything other than literally just the teaching hours?  Will
you be spending a significant amount of time on anything else during your
program, such as a job to pay the bills?

As I understand it - I have to research this a little more - the university
I am considering, North Carolina State University (Mechanical and Aerospace
Engineering), has three primary requirements:
1) A PhD dissertation and defense.  No specific time requirement; it's
merely uncommon to write fast.  I have decades of experience in writing
fast.  I'm also starting from a basic writeup of the math, which I suspect
will give me a significant head start on the dissertation.
2) 72 credit hours.  No apparent maximum credit hours per semester.  9
credit hours per semester (including summer) times 8 semesters comes to
72.  Most classes appear to be 3 credit hours, meaning I would be taking 3
classes per semester, which I should easily be able to handle.  There are
some further requirements as to the exact distribution, for instance a
certain number must come from the "class" (MAE 895) that represents working
on the dissertation and defense.  It is not yet known if I can transfer in
any from my MS or BS work; I am planning for the case that I can't, but any
that I can will reduce this.
3) At least 8 semesters.  This is normally intended to be
Fall-Spring-Fall-Spring-Fall-Spring-Fall-Spring, but I asked and
Fall-Spring-Summer-Fall-Spring-Summer-Fall-Spring is allowed.  I may tack
on another Summer to the start or end, if it turns out I can only take 6
credit hours during a Summer semester (so the credit hours, rather than
9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9, would be 6+9+9+6+9+9+6+9+9).

Whatever university you might consider doing it at, apply this same
analysis.  There is no teaching requirement in my case, but I suspect that
might be accelerated and/or reduced in your case in the same manner as #2
above.  It will not always be possible at every program at every
university, but regardless of university and program, it is not possible
save by accident if you do not investigate and plan in advance.

If you have ever written some long work, such as a book or a long article,
you probably know the importance of starting with an outline before you
start writing.  The same principle applies here.  (Doubly so: outline your
intended path before applying to the program, and outline your dissertation
before writing it.)

> If 3 years is possible, that might make it possible given the right
> arrangements and a flexible school.

Indeed.  Start by reading what the university and department you are
looking at, publish online about their requirements.  Then, talk to some
faculty and staff there.

When you do so, ask about suitable dissertation topics.  As I understand
it, usually any PhD topic has to be something the university already has
funding to let you pursue - or something that it doesn't take much funding
to pursue, often something along the lines of what your dissertation
advisor is investigating anyway.  Constructing a vacuum balloon (which is
not something anyone at NCSU appears to be pursuing at this time) will take
money for a prototype - possibly more than the tuition, thus why getting
grants to fund everything is more critical in my case, but if I can supply
that funding to the university then I just have to make a case for academic
suitability.  (In NCSU's case, their criteria is that it "advances the
research".  Building something once thought impossible and still not yet
accomplished, and publishing exactly how I did it along with rigorous math
showing how it all works, should hopefully qualify.  Even if my theory
turns out to be wrong, publishing proof that the particular approach I am
investigating can not work - with emphasis on the proof - should also
qualify.)  Whether you're bringing the funding to let you pick a topic
(within bounds of what the university finds acceptable), or you find some
agreeable topic that a faculty member is willing to advise you on, knowing
what you want to focus on can help lay out your coursework and let you
start your research before you even formally apply to a PhD program.

> Ahh... this was my follow up question you anticipated. If any meaningful
> contributions in the 21st century have been made by amateurs?

For this, I defer to
https://www.google.com/search?q=amateur+science+breakthrough+21st+century
.  The answer appears to be "yes".