[ExI] protecting children

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 24 14:16:09 UTC 2024

   Bill W wrote:
"I am all for requiring parents to OK downloads and for privacy issues - of
course.

aisle, put products into it along with the usual price.  People will think
it's on sale.  Is this ethical?  Can't we use psychology?"

In the UK, we have passed laws against marketing junk food to kids too aggressively, limiting some of the promotions that you can make on food, and instated a "sugar tax" that makes putting too much sugar in your fizzy pop expensive. People have got wise to some of the tricks of the marketers, and the health campaigners want to fight against it and plenty of people want to fight those who would aggressively market to their kids. I think your politicians are merely taking a leaf out of the playbooks being used on the other side of the Atlantic. Being incredibly attractive to adults is one thing, but people get wary when people are profiting from making something extra-attractive to kids.
Tom