[ExI] interesting take on nuclear power

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 05:09:51 UTC 2024

Respectfully, I'm curious how you have odds of even close to 50% of the
Singularity happening by 2030.   What is behind this optimism?   I don't
see the nanotechnology anywhere close to where it would need to be to
manipulate matter at the atomic level and self replicate, and am very
skeptical that any current AI approaches are going to lead to AGI by 2030.
 Multi modal LLMs are certainly impressive in some respects, but I, as an
admitted amateur, don't see much pointing towards the Singularity by 2030.

This question is asked in earnest as I would love to hear why my skepticism
is misplaced.

While I am in the camp that substrate is not important for consciousness,
what if we're wrong there, and Penrose (or someone with another theory
where substrate indeed does matter) gets the last laugh.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 11:37 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <