[ExI] Mind Upload problems

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 20:34:50 UTC 2024

On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 6:37 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

> I can see thinking faster can help with calculations, but we have far faster computers for those problems.  I cannot see how thinking faster can help with social

"The problem is uploaded humans speeding up. Human brains are
asynchronous, but, given reaction times, we can impute an equivalent
clock rate of ~200 Hz. Which means a human brain (or brain equivalent)
running in moderately fast hardware could run a million times faster.
(200 MHz is not fast hardware.)

"You might ask, “Why would humans do such a silly thing?” Because
intelligence is a large factor in sexual attraction. This was probably
established in the Stone Age. Of course, intelligence is valuable
outside of sexual attraction, being correlated with many other
personality and life-history traits and is especially valued by
transhumanists. One aspect of being smart is thinking fast, or at
least thinking faster than the person you are trying to impress. That
leads at once to a runaway “Red Queen” situation where, when we can
run our thinking faster, we would rapidly push the computational speed
to the limit, whatever it is."  [from
http://hplusmagazine.com/2012/04/12/transhumanism-and-the-human-expansion-into-space-a-conflict-with-physics/]

Keith

or emotional problems.   Just as we are, thinking faster can lead to
hasty decisions.  bill w