[ExI] after upload, what?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Mar 21 18:39:58 UTC 2024

On 20/03/2024 23:28, Samantha wrote:
> Well, why would any random upload have access to all the
>        parameters of ver experience?   Are they also at minimum so
>        cognitively enhanced and hyper-honest as to see the implications
>        of tweaking various settings?  Is there a Panic Button to
>        reestablish defaults?

Well, you have to start somewhere.

Speaking for myself, I certainly would want access to all the parameters
of my experience. I would also start with the assumption that I was far
from capable of understanding all the implications of tweaking them, and
embark on a programme of educating myself to appreciate them. I'd also,
as remarked previously, be keen to set up a system of backups and
checkpoints to reset myself to the starting point if necessary. This
would be part of the learning process. Set up a temporary tweak of some
parameter, that reverts to the previous state after a fixed period of
time, with mechanisms in place to ensure that the tweaked me couldn't
prevent the reversion. A recording of the tweaked state would, if
possible, be useful too, for understanding the differences. I'd
certainly be ultra-cautious about this whole process, but would
definitely want to do it. After all, we are wanting to improve
ourselves, aren't we?

(What would count as 'improvement' is another discussion)

I can imagine this leading to a kind of upload curriculum, maybe
mandatory for all new uploads (yes, I know), to make sure they can cope
with 'life as an upload' in a responsible way.

Of course, this is all wishful thinking, on top of the wishful thinking
that uploads will be possible, practical, and widely available one day.

The reality is likely to be wildly different to anything any of us can
(or want to) imagine at the moment.

Ben