[ExI] AI and Eliezer

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Fri Mar 22 21:36:47 UTC 2024

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024, Keith Henson via extropy-chat wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 4:09 PM spike jones via extropy-chat
>
> snip
>
>> Marketing 101: sex sells, but death sells better.
>
> You might be right, but it really needs a survey.
>
>> Plenty of people are selling panic porn on TwitterX, and that’s all free.  One can pay good money for silly nonsense, or opt to be scared to death for nothing.  Easy choice, save your money.
>
> The question is why?  What is it in human evolutionary history that
> attracts us to such stories?

And what is it about the human beings who are not attracted to such
stories and who manage to fight against the lure of social media?

I always wonder how come it is so easy for me to not engage with nonsense,
and I feel like my reality is _radically different_ from most other
people.

I also feel like my choice is the saner choice which makes for a much more
pleasant life, but I guess that is a subjective question. ;)