[ExI] after upload, what?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 19:55:28 UTC 2024

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 5:57 PM Travis Porco via extropy-chat

Snip

> Forgive me for delurking, but perhaps the time has come to ask *how*
> to do an upload or upload-like activity right now, today, with
> existing technology..

Current technology is not up to the task.  It will take
nanotechnology.  18 years ago I described it in the story I posted
recently.

"This time the nanomachines didn't infiltrate her brain just to shut
it down, though they did that and reversed the mild damage from shock
and low blood flow.   The nanomachines mapped out all her neural
circuits and cell connections.  Shortly before her parents entered the
clinic the next day they tentatively restored consciousness, partly in
her brain--which was far below the temperature needed to run on its
own--and partly in the haze of nanomachines that were also simulating
input in place of her eyes and ears."

****

"A few hours before her parents were to come on the last day, Zaba
warmed up her body under Suskulan's guidance.  Her consciousness was
continuous as the reactivated brain cells took over from the slowed
down swarm of nano computers that had been simulating them.   The
support and information umbilical connections withdrew and the holes
in her skin closed seamlessly as Zaba started breathing for the first
time in 9 days.

"She sat up and coughed a few times.  Her physical body was different
from what she had experienced for the past subjective 90 days.
Better?  Worse?  She could not decide.  "

> .extracting enough memory and identity to
> generate an authorized continuing agent for yourself, without being
> distracted by worries about whether it is "really you" and so forth.
> As I follow these discussions I find the philosophical worries merely
> lead to inaction, and in some cases, contain elements dismissive of
> the value of lives.

It is my opinion and I wrote it into the story, that people should be
able to move their minds to and from an uploaded state without even a
break in consciousness.  Personally, I am not interested in uploading
until it is bidirectional.

Keith