[ExI] after upload, what?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 00:30:32 UTC 2024

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 11:24 AM Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, and I've struggled with calling it a "spirit world" also.

In The Clinic Seed "spirit world" is initially the simulation Suskulan sets
up to talk to the profoundly injured Zaba and to let her talk to her
parents.

[After warming up and transferring her consciousness back to her physical
body.]

"She was mildly distressed that she now had to voice talk to Suskulan, who
appeared as a projection, instead of "talking" directly to his spirit in
the spirit world she had inhabited.  Then she realized from her new
knowledge there was a way she could if she took a bit of the clinic with
her.  However, there wasn't much time before her parents came.

"Can I come back to visit even if I am not hurt?" she asked.

"Yes.  Anytime I don't have another patient."

"May I take the clinic's interface with me?"

"There is nothing so addictive . . ." thought Suskulan.

"You may."  Part of the cloud of nanomachines that had just left Zaba's
brain returned as a momentary haze.  Since they retained their memory of
where they had been it was a matter of a few minutes before the machines
reestablished their monitoring posts in Zaba's brain.

"I missed not being able to talk to you in the spirit world."   Zaba said
without voicing.  A wire frame image in Zaba's visual cortex overlaid the
physical projected image of Suskulan.

"Spirit talk does not reach as far as your garden."  Suskulan warned her.

'Spirit world talk' is obviously WIFI.

> But I think calling it this is the right thing to do.  And we should point
> out to everyone that redness and greenness are spiritual qualities, not
> properties of the strawberry.  And, if it wasn't for the majority of
> dualistic functionalists who claim redness and greenness aren't physical,
> it'd sure help.

I can't imagine Zaba and the other children and eventually all the
inhabitants of the tata (village) giving a hoot about redness or greeness.
At the end of the story they live in a world with green trees, but why
should they be concerned about such details?

> My primary target is religious irrational nut cases that believe there is
> some "spirit world" independent of the brain.  (i.e. most Mormons)
> I'm presenting a talk at the upcoming Mormon Transhumanist conference
> <https://mtaconf.org/> and I'm going all in with this "spirit world"
> terminology. Joseph Smith said many times (and it is in Mormon Scripture)
> "All spirit is matter which can only be discerned by purer eyes."

In the story, "spirit world" is a simulation of the real world.  People can
more between the real world and the simulation whenever they wish.

This is totally unlike the Mormon ideas.  As far as I know, nobody has ever
come back from their "spirit world."

Keith

If we can get the irrational idiots who believe in whoga booka BS, to use