[ExI] Geoengineering termination shock from SO2 reduction in shipping fuel

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri May 31 00:00:35 UTC 2024

On Thu, 30 May 2024 at 23:17, Tom Nowell via extropy-chat

> Facebook ads gave me a targeted ad from nature to promote this open access article Abrupt reduction in shipping emission as an inadvertent geoengineering termination shock produces substantial radiative warming | Communications Earth & Environment (nature.com)
> Cited as: Yuan, T., Song, H., Oreopoulos, L. et al. Abrupt reduction in shipping emission as an inadvertent geoengineering termination shock produces substantial radiative warming. Commun Earth Environ 5, 281 (2024). https://doi.org/10.1038/s43247-024-01442-3

<snip>

> It appears that marine diesel, that thick mass of near-bitumen used to power global shipping, was up to 3.5% sulphur until recently. I'm not surprised we finally brought in regulations to make the fuel less filthy and cut down on acid rain, but it appears this is decreasing the cooling effect of shipping trails. Anyway, as this list has many who like discussing geo-engineering I thought this would be interesting.
>
> Tom

It appears to be the Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again.
Yes, it is good to reduce atmosphere pollution, but clearer air
increases climate warming.
This applies to all atmosphere pollution, not just marine diesel.

(Though there are some critics saying that this report exaggerates the
effect in this case).
See:
<https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-sulphur-reductions-in-shipping-fuel-and-increased-maritime-warming/>

BillK