[ExI] MIT Report Finds That AI Is Leading to “Cognitive Surrender” Among Students

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Sep 19 15:57:38 UTC 2026



-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] MIT Report Finds That AI Is Leading to “Cognitive Surrender” Among Students

>...MIT Report Finds That AI Is Leading to “Cognitive Surrender” Among Students It's a disaster in the making.
By Victor Tangermann    Published Sep 19, 2026

<https://futurism.com/future-society/mit-report-ai-cognitive-surrender-students>
Quotes:
>...As generative AI continues to intrude on almost every aspect of our daily lives, students are increasingly starting to feel the effects of over-relying on the tech.

>...Some are going to absurd lengths to use AI to complete their assessments while avoiding being caught cheating. Meanwhile, exam scores are dropping off a cliff as students struggle to get by without using the tech as a crutch.

>...The effects extend far beyond bad grades. Some college students are losing the ability to participate in class discussions, a terrifying consequence of offloading their cognitive facilities to AI.
------------------------------

BillK

_______________________________________________


So it isn't exactly that AI is slaying humanity, but rather our collective mind is dissolving into AI.  

Ja, I worry a lot about that as I listen to my son's experience at college.  

We have seen examples here of our treating AI as an all-knowing arbiter of truth, a fact checker.  But when queried about something one knows a lot about, one realizes we are breathing our own fumes.  When I query any of the AIs on the topic of the predictability of Mersenne primes, I soon realize I am reading a discussion between Ernst Mayer and me from three decades ago.  It isn't clear who prevailed in that extended online debate: Ernst has the brains and the PhD but I made the actual money.

The mathematical proletariat was most entertained by our cheerful banter.  Ernst and I were good friends.  That kind soul treated me as if I were as smart as he is.  Heh.  In my wettest dreams.  I miss that lad.

spike




More information about the extropy-chat mailing list