[ExI] How new AI economics might change our systems

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Sep 22 23:29:57 UTC 2026


...> On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] How new AI economics might change our systems

On 22/09/2026 13:55, John K Clark wrote:
>>... I remember that in the very early 1970s I read a book called "The
Population Bomb" by Paul Ehrlich, but nearly all its predictions turned out
to be wrong... I think Ehrlich's fundamental problem was that he didn't take
into consideration technological improvement.... John 


>...Not just Ehrlich, just about everyone makes the same mistake.

>...Another (probably inevitable) mistake that we all make is only
considering one thing at a time when trying to predict the future...I think
we can change the 'might' in the subject line of this thread to 'will'.
-- 
Ben

_______________________________________________

If you have never seen a flock of starlings performing murmuration, find
videos on it.

Is not what we (humanity) are doing right now analogous to starlings doing
what they do so well?  We make our predictions of the future always (over?)
estimating momentum of populations.  Yet somehow we all seem to turn in
unison, simultaneously, with some kind of signal which is universal and hard
to identify.  Watch the videos you found, see if you can predict what the
flock will next.  I can't either.

I never would have predicted that China would suddenly stop overgrowing its
limits.  It's as if reproduction suddenly and inexplicably went out of
style.  It is happening here too.  We just don't recognize it yet.

spike



More information about the extropy-chat mailing list