[ExI] How new AI economics might change our systems

Ben Zaiboc benzaiboc at proton.me
Wed Sep 23 08:42:24 UTC 2026


On Wednesday, 23 September 2026 at 00:30, spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> If you have never seen a flock of starlings performing murmuration, find
> videos on it.
> 
> Is not what we (humanity) are doing right now analogous to starlings doing
> what they do so well?  We make our predictions of the future always (over?)
> estimating momentum of populations.  Yet somehow we all seem to turn in
> unison, simultaneously, with some kind of signal which is universal and hard
> to identify.  Watch the videos you found, see if you can predict what the
> flock will next.  I can't either.
> 
> I never would have predicted that China would suddenly stop overgrowing its
> limits.  It's as if reproduction suddenly and inexplicably went out of
> style.  It is happening here too.  We just don't recognize it yet.


Murmurations of starlings are things I've been witnessing since I was a hatchling (until recently. Are they going extinct or something?), but I don't get your analogy. If humans were anywhere near as well-co-ordinated, half our problems wouldn't even exist.

---
Ben



More information about the extropy-chat mailing list