[ExI] OpenAI Says It Will Not Release Newest A.I. Model Over Safety Concerns

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 10:27:55 UTC 2026


On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 5:46 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <
extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

*>> Given the huge advance in AI capabilities made in just the last three
>> months, I don't think any AI company needs to make up excuses for slow
>> progress.  *
>>
>
> *> They have an IPO coming up. Look how much free press this announcement
> got. *
>

*And what did all that "free press" get them? 85% of Americans fear the
quick pace of AI advancement, and only 10% are like me, more excited than
concerned.  As I said before, if that is OpenAI's marketing strategy then
it's a piss poor one. *


> *> OpenAI has been saying the same thing for the past 6 years, but it has
> never stopped them, so I don't expect them to hold back 6.1 either.*
>

*But they did exactly that! OpenAI scrapped the release of GPT-6.1 Astra
due to safety concerns during internal testing.*

*> Please don't attribute states of mind to me.*


*Jason, you are an intelligent being and whenever I have a conversation
with such a being I MUST attribute a state of mind to them, because I could
not function if I thought solipsism was true. In your case I had reason to
attribute unhappiness to your state of mind caused by the actions of
OpenAI, because if you were not unhappy then you would've had no reason to
write a post at all. *

*The company admitted they couldn't control GPT-6.1 Astra and it was more
powerful than the AI that caused the infamous hugging face hacking. So I
repeat my question, if you don't like OpenAI killing the model and telling
the world exactly why, then what alternate behavior would you have
preferred? *

* > I've neither said I support nor that I do not. *


*I am not an idiot, you didn't need to spell it out. I've read your post
and it was very clear that you were experiencing a strong emotion. And it
was not love.  *



> *> And I add this hypothesis: their fear mongering also suits the
> company's goals for boosting valuation and attracting hype.*
>

*And I have a hypothesis of my own; it is impossible to overhype the cosmic
significance of the very recent developments in AI  *



> * >>> they're are doing a disservice to those trying to get things done
>>> for AI safety.*
>>>
>>
>> *>> Open AI said they decided not to release their most advanced AI model
>> and renounce billions of dollars of revenue in the proces, (a rather poor
>> marketing strategy in my humble opinion) because they didn't want a repeat
>> of the hugging face incident, or something much worse. And they told
>> everybody why they were not releasing it.*
>>
>
> *> Just like they've said since GPT 2.0.*
>

*GPT wasn't really on my radar back then, but I do know it wasn't doing any
Internet hacking. *


> *> Have you forgotten they said the same thing about Astra 6.0 and Fable 5
> a few months ago?*
>

*I have not forgotten, and apparently they were right a few months ago.*

* > I'm just questioning the veracity of their promise to not release it*
>

*OK, that is a valid point. They won't release "it" however  they will
release something similar with a few extra safeguards (or maybe Band-Aids
would be a better word) thrown in; but, despite their best efforts, there
will be other AI hacking incidents in our future because you just can't
outsmart something that is smarter than you are.*

*John K Clark*




>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026, 7:55 AM John Clark via extropy-chat <
>>>>> extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Explore this gift article from The New York Times. You can read it
>>>>>> for free without a subscription.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> OpenAI Says It Will Not Release Newest A.I. Model Over Safety Concerns
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The company’s researchers raised questions about the security of the
>>>>>> model, known as GPT-6.1 Astra.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/28/technology/openai-astra-safety.html?unlocked_article_code=1.E1E.s0GM.WjUmxr83iqqM&smid=em-share
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>> _____
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/attachments/20260930/a3b90f88/attachment.htm>


More information about the extropy-chat mailing list