[Paleopsych] short term thinking

Steve shovland at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 5 22:58:14 UTC 2004

I think in recent years, among the elite classes,
the pendulum has swung to the side of personal
gain at the expense of the whole, but I also
think that the pendulum continues to swing.

One of the sites I visit regularly is that of
Chief Executive magazine:

http://www.chiefexecutive.net/Index.htm

In one of their surveys they found a widespread
concern with growth and profits among CEO's.

In part those problems are a function of
the current distribution of personal income.
80% of the American people have less to
spend than they did a few years ago.

This results in lower unit sales for items like cars,
and cost pressures for the producers of many
smaller products.

In cybernetic terms, this is a negative feedback loop.
If they offshore production to reduce costs, they also
offshore consumer income, which makes things worse.

In recent months China and Japan have reduced their
purchases of our debt, so the pressure on our system
is increasing.

Owners of SUV's continue to whine about the price of
gas, but it will only go up.  They will adapt, albeit slowly.
I think we will all adapt, but at a glacial pace.