[Paleopsych] Gaming the power grid

Werbos, Dr. Paul J. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Tue Aug 17 01:10:45 UTC 2004

At 04:37 PM 8/16/2004 -0700, Steve wrote:
>I agree that home-power systems are
>a drop in the bucket, but I would suggest
>that many such drops will prove to be
>part of the solution.

No harm with good drops .. but even a lot of them won't solve
the overall crunch.

>The homeowner I wrote about has built
>3 previous homes with passive and active
>solar features.  He says that the first thing
>is insulation.  The house he is building
>in California is insulated to the levels of
>many houses in Minnesota- R30 walls and
>R45 roof.
>
>The big problem with the large power grids is the
>simple fact that they exist.  The present
>system is set up for the efficient concentration
>of economic power rather than for the
>efficient  distribution of electricity.

I wouldn't go that far... the present configurations are biased,
but it takes energy to build better configurations... and they DO
have an important role to play...

>It would be interesting to have an idea of the
>transmission losses resulting from the current
>long-distance systems and see what could be
>done by breaking them down into smaller zones.

I forget what total losses are... certainly no more than about 7 percent.

BUT ... consider how much more cost-effective (more output, more efficiency)
it is to run a solar thermal plant in the desert than in cloudy Northeast
US, for example!
That's more than a factor of two! Likewise, for coal plants, it makes more
sense
economically to run electricity some distance. Those are the big potential
sources,
if we reduce the use of oil and gas in making electricity.

The small sources deserve support, yes, but even a halfway efficient
overall system has
to include a lot of transmission, to meet anything even half as great as US
demand.

>Among other things we need to revisit the
>notion of "economies of scale" and realize
>that bigger is not always better and certainly
>not cheaper.  Years ago I read that when Con Ed
>built some of their larger units they encountered
>unexpected technical problems that led to large
>cost over-runs.

Economies of scale are VERY technology dependent.
Certainly wind and solar thermal want smaller plants than, say, today's
nuclear plants! But solar farms and wind farms tend to make sense,
simply because of the need to exploit prime locations. Coal
generally wants to be biggish... though someday it would be nice to
have solar thermal plants located near (smaller scale?) coal
processing systems, to inject energy, to allow each carbon atom to
go to a methanol molecule with no CO2 emission. But that's
another future possible technology, not being investigated today, so far as
I know;
it's way too early to guess what its scaling characteristics are!

But--- intelligent grids and more rational regulation should increase
incentives for all kinds
of small-scale power generation. Even if I don't think they
will solve so many problems as some folks believe-- I certainly agree we should
give them stronger rational incentives (as part of intelligent grids). And if
opening the market shows they have more potential than I expect, fine..

Best of luck,

     Paul