[Paleopsych] prison

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Wed Aug 18 16:17:40 UTC 2004

Hummm . . . well, they (long sentences) deter crime while the perp is in
prison. At least he can't break into my house or steal my car while he
is doing time.

There is a common theme in this - crime is down BUT (say the news
articles) total prison population is UP.  As if that were a contradiction.

Another way to punctuate this is:
Crime is down AND total prison population is up.

A more aggressive punctuation:
Crime is down BECAUSE prison population is up.

How do we want to tell the story? I sort of like the last one, the
Guiliani version where you aggressively pursue minor crime and oddly
enough, major crime declines.
Lynn Johnson