[Paleopsych] drugs and violence

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Tue Aug 24 19:20:27 UTC 2004

Steve's question is a thought-provoking one. It is difficult to say, but
I believe most therapists with experience in the chemical dependency
field would say drugs caused the problem.

What we mean is that drugs disconnect people.  Even the supposedly
benign marijuana, or more than three or four drinks a night, seperate
people, make them less able to relate, and degrade problem solving.
Cocaine is a tremendous disconnect. Thus, problems that should be dealt
with tend to fester and the high-functioning people in the family (the
ones not using drugs / alcohol) are left with greater and greater
responsibility. Resentment grows. Fights follow, often leading to
violence toward the high functioning person (often the woman) so the
substance abuser doesn't have to modify his behavior.

A bit of history: Before prohibition, alcohol consumption was much
higher, and men tended to go to saloons and get quite drunk before
coming come, resulting in financial problems, domestic violence, and so
on. Prohibition was actually a women's liberation issue, combined with
some religious groups. But the women's lib people pushed it, seeing
saloons as oppressing women (which they in fact did).  One idea about
prohibition was to prohibit distilled drinks, but not beer and wine. And
historically this makes sense; alcohol problems skyrocketed after the
development of distillation of gin. Beer and wine had more social
traditions associated with them, or religious rituals, like peoyte among
some native americans.

But distilled spirits became the provience of men only, in saloons, and
that eventually led to prohibition.  Ironically, prohibition reduced
consumption some but also permitted some social rituals to be developed
where women began going to speakeasies and having mixed drinks. So
post-prohibition, the unisex abuse of alcohol was reduced.

Recreational drugs lack a religious or social set of rituals, and also
seem to be more disorganizing to the personality, so they are more
dangerous, higher social costs associated. Legalizing might work, but is
a dangeous experiment, since once legal, you have a hard time getting
back to illegal (alcohol and tobacco, for example) and then there may
well be many more problems.

Sorry to rave on so long.
Lynn

Steve wrote:

>In treating people who use drugs, do you think the
>drugs were the cause of the problem, or do you think
>the drug use was a function of problems with the
>family dynamics?
>
>Steve Hovland
>www.stevehovland.net

snipped