[Paleopsych] the grief-meter

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 05:41:10 UTC 2004

In a message dated 8/28/2004 11:53:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, BMC273 writes:
Mike Levine had a great show on Suitcase Nuclear bombs last Monday, did you
catch it? I think he said OBL had purchased 40 of these from Russia.

hb: aha.  so you missed my art bell show appearance saturday night discussing
islam's nuclear threats for three hours.  i'd have liked your opinion of it.

As for the issue about who suffers more...men or women, my friend had a good
point - she said its true we all suffer as humans but dont the POOR suffer
more than the RICH? So there are differences...(I still think she is right that
women do suffer more then men in general). What do you think?
hb: in his Progress Paradox, Glenn Eastbrook sums up the literature on
happiness and comes to the conclusion that no matter how rich you get, you still
manage to fill some internally driven quota of discontent and misery.  I believe
that Timothy Wilson in his book on the adaptive subconscious also shows a lot
of evidence that we have an internal set-point for misery that manufactures
miseries when we're in clover and manufactures blessings when we are truly laid
low.

You dream of winning the lottery and are miserable because you are not
wealthy as a prince.  Then you win the lottery and are miserable because you have no
more goals to pursue and your former friends no longer come to you to chat or
watch the ball game on tv.  All they want from you is money.

You come down with a dire disease.  You fight it like hell.  You feel it
strengthens you and gives you new insight.  And things that others take for
granted become delights to you.

This isn’t poetry, it’s the result of research.  The happiest people tend to
be the disabled and the chronically ill.

In technical terms, we have a homeostatic mechanism that makes sure that we
each have our tiny share of joys and our far larger parcel of griefs.
Howard
----------
Howard Bloom
Author of The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of
History and Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind From The Big Bang to the
21st Century
Visiting Scholar-Graduate Psychology Department, New York University; Faculty
Member, The Graduate Institute
www.howardbloom.net
www.bigbangtango.net
Founder: International Paleopsychology Project; founding board member: Epic
of Evolution Society; founding board member, The Darwin Project; founder: The
Big Bang Tango Media Lab; member: New York Academy of Sciences, American
Association for the Advancement of Science, American Psychological Society, Academy
of Political Science, Human Behavior and Evolution Society, International
Society for Human Ethology; advisory board member: Youthactivism.org; executive
editor -- New Paradigm book series.
For information on The International Paleopsychology Project, see:
www.paleopsych.org
for two chapters from
The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of History,
see www.howardbloom.net/lucifer
For information on Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind from the Big Bang
to the 21st Century, see www.howardbloom.net