[Paleopsych] the grief-meter

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Sun Aug 29 18:55:19 UTC 2004

Howard, I heard your OBL/ Michael Jackson piece with Art Bell last
night. Our local station replays Art Bell segments on Saturday night,
and as I was running late evening errands I caught you. Delightful
interview. Even the scary Agosto 90 stuff.

OBL has one thing that Michael & others in the entertainment industry
lack, something you can supply, and that is MEANING. MJ supplies
temporary meaning through creative showmanship. People need a greater
meaning than that. They need something that calls to them to be more
than entertained, it calls to them to be transformative to others. They
need to feel themselves to have personal power. They need to see
themselves make a difference in the lives of others. They need to hear
the thanks of others.

You have a vision of capitalism combined with liberal democracy (Dinesh
Souza?), and how that redeems people. Government must be minimally
intrusive so as to promote initiative and risk taking; people help each
other most via direct action in business. Low cost quality goods are a
form of happiness. As Eastbrook points out, though, our society is
filled with emphasis on problems, not on the incredible solutions we
have created. Thus, Ireland a bit over 1/4 of our living standard, but
is actually happier (David Myers, The Pursuit of Happiness, p 35.).
Myers and others find that happiness is found not by consumption but by
service and meaning. Optimism, according to a recent email I received
from the Seligman group (www.authentichappiness.com) is one of the keys
to enduring happiness. Yet our whole system, politics and commerce, is
too tied into Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. We must turn out society
toward optimism, hope, service, and meaning.

You can help reawaken a national spirit of optimism and joy, and your
Reinventing Capitalism book. I am sure it can be a powerful and
transformative tool. Let's get it published, Howard!
With warmest wishes,
Lynn Johnson
Salt Lake City