[Paleopsych] CHE: Europe Strives to Keep Its Scientists at Home

Werbos, Dr. Paul J. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Mon Aug 30 20:12:49 UTC 2004

At 10:40 AM 8/30/2004 -0400, Premise Checker wrote:
>Europe Strives to Keep Its Scientists at Home
>The Chronicle of Higher Education, 4.9.3
>http://chronicle.com/weekly/v51/i02/02a00101.htm
>
>    The continent battles the lure of U.S. labs, but some researchers say
>    the 'brain drain' is overstated
>    By AISHA LABI
>
>    London
>
>    Europeans have worried for decades about the loss of top scientific
>    talent to the United States, and some recent studies show that the
>    "brain drain" is getting worse.
>    Now Europe is fighting back, with new steps designed to keep
>    scientists at home.
>    Some researchers, however, argue that their colleagues are overstating
>    the problem. And some see hope that recent changes, such as
>    limitations on stem-cell research in the United States, are
>    encouraging more scientists to stay in Europe.

A department chair of a major engineering university came to an interview
with us
last year -- and said only about 5 percent of their PhD candidates are US
born.
That's probably about typical. Many, many consequences.

But -- the post 9/11 cutting in half of the pool will have a big impact.

Of course, technology is just one area. We have many more
home-grown lawyers.

It is sad to hear people in the capitol talking about the US technological
superiority over
China and India... when a majority of our engineers are actually from
there, and are not
always sympathetic with recent trends.

Of course, am understating it all.

Best,