[Paleopsych] the welfare state

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 7 05:11:20 UTC 2004

The Bush plan takes money away from politicians
and gives it to his friends in Wall Street.  I don't
see much difference.

The economy is not suffering from a lack of investment.
If you check up on capital spending you will find that
Bush's tax cuts did not translate into a surge in
investment.

The economy is suffering from a lack of consumer spending,
which we now see in the form of the lackluster results so far in
the Christmas season.  With half of the personal income in
this country going to the top 20%, and after so many paychecks
were sent overseas, many people simply don't have the money
to make this a profitable season.

If we have some privatization of Social Security, most of the
money will go to reflate the value of existing stock, not to
fund new ventures.  Once the stock is reinflated, the
big guys will come in and skim the cream, as they have so
often in the past.  Right now Wall Street is nervous because
the Baby Boomers feel like their pockets have been picked
one time too many and we are staying away in droves.

With the exception of the Defense Department, most government
agencies are literally accountable: they keep books which are
open to inspection.  We can complain if we see something we
don't like.  And we can vote in new political leaders if we want
a change in direction.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend Giuliani's book
"Leadership."  He tells how he refocused the agencies in
New York to get a different and better result.  As old Ross
Perot once remarked "You get what you inspect."