[Paleopsych] charity

Christian Rauh christian.rauh at uconn.edu
Fri Dec 10 01:01:43 UTC 2004

It is interesting that because government has lost so much credibility
the option is to create... another government!

Christian

Michael Christopher wrote:
>>>If a welfare check came with a work requirement,
>
> would that be a desirable influence on behavior? If
> someone gets help from private individuals or
> faith-based groups, he has to dance to their tune just
> as much as he would have to dance to the government's
> tune to get help from it.<<
>
> --I don't think anyone rejects the idea of people
> doing temp work to earn welfare, except people who are
> categorically against welfare. It's hard for many
> people to get or keep a job, for whatever reasons, and
> day work is one way to get people to work, knowing
> they won't be fired or jerked around in order to feed
> themselves.
>
> I'm sure Christian churches will be totally
> even-handed in their treatment of the poor and
> homeless who come to them when government safety nets
> fail, whether they accept Jesus or reject
> Christianity.
>
> It would be a fun experiment, getting two people to
> approach a church for help, one adapting well to
> Christian beliefs and the other questioning
> Christianity and advocating some other faith or
> atheism, politely but without budging on dogma. I'm
> sure they'd both be treated with equal kindness and
> charity. Surely the Christian drive to end welfare and
> make churches the leading economic and social safety
> net isn't just a cynical ploy to get converts. If it
> is, we'll soon know. The influx of needy people will
> quickly reveal the prejudices and deeper fears of
> those who consider themselves devout. And it just
> might inspire pagan, humanist and science-based groups
> to start their own charity programs, as a way of
> connecting people to groups who are compatible and can
> provide temporary work.
>
> If it is impossible for liberals to take control of
> government safety nets (which may not be easy to save,
> either way), liberals will then have to focus on
> community building, educational and social projects,
> privately funded charity and the illumination of a
> social conscience. There, they will excel.
>
> Michael

"I am in a very sad position. I do not see any freedom or any
democracy. If this could lead into a freedom, it is a freedom with
blood. It is a freedom of emotions of sadness. It is a freedom of
killing. You cannot gain democracy through blood or killing. You do
not find the freedom that way."

        - Abu Talat, 19 Nov 2004 (after the raid of Abu Hanifa mosque)