[Paleopsych] Re: joel

Marcel Roele mroele at hetnet.nl
Sun Jul 25 18:03:17 UTC 2004

Why are the estimates of Prof. Lynn (and co-author prof. Vanhanen)
"misguided (if not downright racist)"? What is scientifically or morally
wrong with gathering data on the correlation between IQ and national wealth?

Of course data on IQ in 3rd world countries are scanty. And regarding
the IQ-national wealth correlation there is the question of causality
(Lynn researched adverse effects of malnutrition on IQ, but also
possible genetic group differences in IQ).

Over two-thirds of the muslims in my country (the Netherlands - source
Central Bureau of Statistics) marry a friend of the family living in the
region where their parents were born; over one third marry a
first-cousin; almost all marry within their own community (endogamy).
See for inbreeding depression effects on IQ e.g. Badaruddoze & Afzal in
Behavior Genetics 1993: 343-347 - can be 10 points in 1 generation. And
yes, muslims in my country have lower IQs and poorer academic
achievement than other immigrants and their offspring (data in Dutch,
I'm afraid).

Mentioning averages of a group is not racist - judging individual
members of the group by them is (it's also stupid). For instance, it is
a simple fact that Ulster is not a centre of tolerance, but it's stupid
to suggest that somebody is intolerant because he's from Ulster. I don't
think Lynn is from Ulster, by the way. He was educated in England, lives
in England and speaks with a very posh English accent.

As for the other 'bad' thing the Premise Checker is supposed to have
said: it is a simple fact that terrorism causes far fewer deaths than
daily traffic - even in Israel. I think this should motivate people to
go on with their daily lives and not let the terrorists scare them, ruin
their economy and hold them hostage. Cars kill, but they don't want to
take over our civilization - muslim terrorists do. Therefore I think we
should put every effort in fighting the terrorists and promoting
enlightment in muslim countries. But that's an opinion - it's not
science. And if the Premise Checker doesn't share it, well that's the
fun thing of living in a free society: he doesn't have to and it doesn't
make him a bad person. It makes him an opponent in an open political
discussion, not someone who should be gagged in a scientific forum.

All in all I fail to see why the Premise Checker has anything to
apologize about. And to ask someone to "take back" data that he
mentioned is not just silly, but also totalitarian. Data should never be
suppressed. That's happens to be the core value of a free society,
including our own paleopsych group - because free exchange of data is
what we're all about. Don't let political parochialism kill off
scientific discussion - that's just the thing that happened/happens in
nazi-, comunist- and militant islam countries.

Marcel