[Paleopsych] It pays to lick the rich

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 08:44:57 UTC 2004

I'm on the right track with a lot of bolstering from your Life Strategies and
from Bill Tillier, who managed to snag a copy of your very hard to get
classic and xerox the whole thing for me.

Another element helped cement the thought--Robert Cialdini's Scarcity
Principle.  Cialdini corraled a mass of social psychology studies indicating that we
all hanker after what everyone else wants but can't have.  We lust for things
that will make us the center of admiration and attention.  Those things--those
status symbols--are usually rarities.  And guess who manages to display his
or her wealth by showing the rarest things of all? The rich.

And where do the rarest things come from?  Usually from very far away or from
some process of manufacturing that is still so new that only a few of
whatever it is have been made--digital watches in the early 1970s--space flights
today.  So what does that make the rich?  Synapses between distant cultures.
Feelers toward the future.  Pathmakers to new empowerments and new possibilities.

That's what the rich are in Western Culture--a mass-production and
mass-marketing culture that takes scarcities to the masses very fast.  Digital watches
made it from rarities in 1972 to everyday items in the early 1980s and to
commodities so common they seemed trashy and were replaced by analog watch dials
again in the 1990s.

That doesn't happen in the societies we idealize--indigenous cultures.  There
the rare stays rare and the masses don't undergo vast leaps of capability in
five years or less.  So should we really be knocking consumer culture, mass
production, and mass-marketing?  Only when those who consume spend more than
they have.  Or when we can prove that we're carving vast cavities in the
ecosystem the provides us oxygen, food, and weather we can live with...weather that
shields us from ice ages, ultraviolet rays, and continent-covering floods.
Howard

In a message dated 7/28/2004 8:27:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,