[Paleopsych] Re: White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Sun Nov 14 17:17:04 UTC 2004

Thanks for your idea, Rebecca, but perhaps we might use a more recent
conception of tyrant than Plato's, to wit.

      He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary
      for the public good.
      He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and
      pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his
      Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly
      neglected to attend to them.
      He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large
      districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right
      of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them
      and formidable to tyrants only.
      He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual,
      uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public
      Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance
      with his measures.
      He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing
      with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
      He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause
      others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of
      Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their
      exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the
      dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
      He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for
      that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners;
      refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and
      raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
      He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his
      Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
      He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of
      their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
      He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms
      of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
      He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without
      the Consent of our legislatures.
      He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior
      to the Civil power.
      He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign
      to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his
      Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
      For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
      For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any
      Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these
      States:
      For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
      For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
      For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
      For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
      For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring
      Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and
      enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and
      fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these
      Colonies:
      For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws,
      and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
      For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves
      invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
      He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his
      Protection and waging War against us.
      He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and
      destroyed the lives of our people.
      He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries
      to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already
      begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled
      in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a
      civilized nation.
      He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high
      Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners
      of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their
      Hands.
      He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has
      endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the
      merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an
      undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

    In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in
    the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only
    by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every
    act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free
    people.

This was the third George of England, while you are referring to the third
George of the United States. In fact, the first third George did not do
these things himself, rather his entire government did.

I'd speak of four aspects of a tyrant: personal rule, centralized power,
unjust power (see the examples above), and arbitrary power.

I don't think either third George exercised much in the way of personal
power. England, in 1776, was centralized. In fact, what we call the common
law is as much the law that became, over many centuries, *common* to all
the regions of England as the distinction between the accretion of
judicial decisions, as opposed to *canon* law on the European continent.

It's illuminating to read in Gabriel Garcia Manquez' One Hundred Years of
Solitude that the Liberals in Latin America favored a federalist
decentralization of power, as of course our Founding Fathers did, though
the Constitution they proposed in 1787 actually increased the authority of
the central government but only by a bit. (This bit was too much for the
so-called Anti-Federalists.) I asked a Hamilton scholar if Hamilton ever
imagined a national government that would tax more than 2% of GDP, and he
said no.

Today, power in this country is greatly concentrated in the central
government, though less so than in most of the rest of the world. Federal
government are few. There's also Canada, Germany, Australia, Serbia (but
not Croatia: Yugoslavia was, officially, federalist), a few others. I
should make a list.

This centralization was inherited by Bush. He did not much increase it
during his first term, except as pertains to the National Security State.
It was during the Clinton administration that a huge number of crimes
became national for the first time. I recall reading that they were more
than doubled. Chances are that, on the whole, power will be handed back to
the states during the next four years.

Unjust laws: again, these were inherited by Bush. Most laws affecting
personal relationships (crime, marriage, divorce, inheritance, forming
corporations) are done at the state level, while laws affecting
businesses, including those of corporations, have a huge federal
component. These laws restrict freedom of contract. Whereas employees can
leave jobs at will, corporations cannot fire at will. Employment
contracts, which is what JOBS are, are one-sidedly in favor of employees.
You may or may not think that it is the *central* government's proper job
to enforce anti-discrimination laws in hiring and firing (for those groups
protected by these laws), but it is a restriction on freedom of contract.
It benefits the protected groups at the expense of unprotected groups.
Other laws restricting employers from entering into contracts with
employees, also benefit *certain* employees at the expense of others. What
they do not, and cannot, do is confer net benefits all around. The
consequence is that wages will fall the more freedom of contract is
restricted. (Consider the so-called forced employer contribution to Social
Security, something else employers are forbidden to contract out of: there
is no free lunch here, for employers would have simply paid those
contributions to their employees in the form of higher salaries.) There is
enough competition to ensure this result. There's a deadweight loss from
all these laws, as rent-seeking groups expend resources to get them
enacted and other groups expend resources resisting them. Furthermore,
they are inefficient: unless I really want to pay into Social Security
voluntarily, I am worse off being forces to do this.

Anyone wanting to say these laws are just should roll out his theory of
justice.

I think there will be a minor reduction of these unjust laws under
Republicans, since they do care about injustices to businesses.

Arbitrary laws: Too many of them will remain, esp. RICO and civil
forfeiture laws, of more recent vintage, and antitrust laws that go back
more than a century, though we can expect a minor reduction in the sweep
of antitrust laws during the next four years. These laws are so complex
that no one understands what they mean: if a business charges more than
his competitors, it is guilty of monopoly exploitation. If it charges
less, it is guilty of intent to monopolize by driving its competitors out
of business. If it charges the same, it is guilty of price fixing!

Please read the charges against George III again and decide whether we are
already there. Whether we are going further into tyranny, please consider
also unjust and arbitrary laws against individuals who get together to
establish businesses.

-----------

Lynn, I don't claim to have a "huge" intellect. It's just that I am
insatiably curious and have picked up a superficial knowledge in a wide
variety of areas. More than anything else, I constantly question whether
what I pick up is knowledge. The older I get, the less I realize I knew.
The Web is wonderful, since I can often quickly find that some view I find
out about is just one of many, many views. I am perpetually asking why
there is or isn't a convergence of opinion on any variety of things. Very
often, that's the question to ask, not what is the exact truth in the
matter.

On 2004-11-11, Rebecca Warburton opined [message unchanged below]: