[Paleopsych] from Eshel Ben jacob

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Wed Nov 24 05:27:20 UTC 2004

Eshel--Before I get sidetracked by the thoughts you're inspiring, a question.
 Can you or a grad student describe to us the  "new direct experimental
evidences that support the picture", the ones that have emerged in the last two
years.  These sound important.

Now down to thought-wandering.  A wonderful statement: "in short, yes the
genome does think. But only if in the genome you include not only the sequence
but the entire gestalt (enzymes proteins etc)."  The gestalt also includes
structures like the cellular skeleton, the membrane, and the external communities
within which the genome lives.

I've just been rereading portions of "Meaning-Based Natural Intelligence
Vs.
Information-Based Artificial Intelligence".  I've also been thinking of the
diagrams with which you showed graphically that using math, you can derive
higher orders of self from a collective.

Meaning depends on a self of sense.  But there are multiple selves for any
creature.  As "Meaning-Based Natural Selection" says, there is individual self,
the self that says "gimme", the selfish cell.  Then there's self as a part of
a subgroup...or of many subgroups.  There's also self as a sense of membership
in the ubergroup--the colony.  And there may be senses of self that extend to
the entire ecosystem that keeps a bacterial colony alive.

There may even be a sense of self that applies to an entire species--or
that's the implication of the work of David Smillie, a wonderful theorist who has,
alas,retired and is no longer part of this group.  But if there is a sense of
self that's chauvinistic about the survival of the species, there's also
likely to be a sense of the species membership in a vastly extended ecosystem for
whose survival individual creatures would fight.  This is true among humans.
Is it true for our bacterial ancestors?

Meaning comes from which order of organism or superorganism you want to
survive and to expand.  It comes from answering questions like "how do I take
advantage of, avoid, or eliminate what's come across my path?"  Is the advantage
you're looking for your own, that of your subculture, that of your ubergroup,
that of your species, or that of the environment that makes it possible for your
species to survive?

These are questions we humans have been dealing with since at least the first
Earth Day in 1969.  Is it anthropomorphism or truth to say that concerns of
this sort occasionally determine the choices made by our bacterial ancestors?
Howard

ps  One more question, a question I've probably asked a zillion times in the
past.  The work of James Shapiro points out that individual spiral arms of a
bacterial colony separate from the motherlode of population at the colony's
center, then become genetic lineages that are distinct and may even go through
separate evolutionary histories.  In other words, the first generation of
bacteria moving out of the motherlode at the colony's core divide and give birth to
offspring that have never been in touch with the motherlode and that are not
in direct reproductive contact with other bacterial groups branching out in
other directions.  A hundred and a thousand generations later, the bacteria in
one spiral arm have gone off in one genetic direction while bacteria in another
spiral arm have drifted (or self-reengineered) in another direction.

Is there a sense of subcultural self among these spiral arms?  Do they
compete?  Do they go up against each other as explorer bees do, attempting to gain
influence and resources for their particular approach to life?  Do they go
through what Global Brain, my second book, calls "creative bickering"--testing out
new hypotheses on behalf of the group, then contributing to the collective
thought process by battling peacefullyt over differences?

In a message dated 11/23/2004 9:03:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,