[Paleopsych] Iraq

jrende jrende at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 4 21:05:28 UTC 2004

I wonder if there is another dynamic at play which makes the idea of troop
withdrawal a moot point. When I spoke with a Former US Ambassador to Saudi
Arabia this past May, he indicated that we will know within the next 3 years
whether Saudi Arabia will become a failed state. The 7000 current Saudi
Princes have already done a nice job draining the state treasury with their
lavish life style. By the end of the decade, there will be nearly 30,000
such princes on the pay roll.

According to the Energy Economist at the Fed in Dallas, if the Saudi Regime
falls, the price of a barrel of oil shoots to over $100 and sends the US
into a devastating recession...unless the US secures access to another
comparably large reserve of oil...like Iraq. Forget the rationale of weapons
of mass destruction. We are in Iraq to secure the second largest oil reserve
in the world for our economic stability. We just did not figure on the pesky
insurgency.

With the halfway point of total estimated recoverable oil approaching
between 2007 and 2013, and with China and India increasing their demand for
oil, our appetite for the stuff will become painfully constrained as prices
steadily rise.

Our special forces are operating in over 100 countries...in addition to
executing the war on terrorism, they are either guarding oil pipelines or
training other forces to do so.

I fear that as long as we are addicted to oil and don't make dramatic
progress in creating alternative energy sources to power our nation, we will
be in Iraq until the twilight of the fossil fuel age.