[Paleopsych] the prison of left vs. right

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Mon Oct 11 06:05:05 UTC 2004

This cropped up in an email conversation with a friend from India tonight.
It relates to things Michael Lockhart (anonymous_animus) and I have been
discussing.

Abhinav Goyal: To be frank, I am a little confused about which side of the
spectrum - right or left - do I really belong to?

hb: it's disturbing that in India you feel compelled to fit into the two
available stereotypes of political thought in the West.

A choice between only two political approaches in a world of great complexity
indicates that our political concepts are primitive and stifling.

What's worse, it indicates that our politics are a  badge of identity, a
decision about which of  two social groups we want to join.  The notion that they
are useful or penetrating ideas is merely a blind, a disguise for a social
choice.

I suspect that the more you maintain a position above, below, and outside the
acceptable spectrum of left and right, the more likely you are to produce
thoughts of value to your fellow human beings.  Howard

----------
Howard Bloom
Author of The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of
History and Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind From The Big Bang to the
21st Century
Visiting Scholar-Graduate Psychology Department, New York University; Core
Faculty Member, The Graduate Institute
www.howardbloom.net
www.bigbangtango.net
Founder: International Paleopsychology Project; founding board member: Epic
of Evolution Society; founding board member, The Darwin Project; founder: The
Big Bang Tango Media Lab; member: New York Academy of Sciences, American
Association for the Advancement of Science, American Psychological Society, Academy
of Political Science, Human Behavior and Evolution Society, International
Society for Human Ethology; advisory board member: Youthactivism.org; executive
editor -- New Paradigm book series.
For information on The International Paleopsychology Project, see:
www.paleopsych.org
for two chapters from
The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of History,
see www.howardbloom.net/lucifer
For information on Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind from the Big Bang
to the 21st Century, see www.howardbloom.net