[Paleopsych] The little high tech jitney that can...

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 18 14:13:34 UTC 2004

Jitney Rolls on to the Hamptons, Wirelessly
The Hampton Jitney gets a cell data uplink to hook its passengers up via
Wi-Fi <http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/03/technology/circuits/03jitn.html>
(reg. required): In a short piece by your editor in Thursday's New York
Times, I describe the Wi-RAN (Rolling Area Network) developed by CEDX and
Best Mobile Computing, and in trials with the Hampton Jitney. The Jitney is
the high-class way to commute between your summer home or just plain Long
Island residence and Manhattan. Some people commute--and I kid you
not--every day, clocking in 3 or 4 hours roundtrip or more.
In that environment, as on trains and planes, people don't have just quiet
time to contemplate but empty time that's worth filling. Some of the Jitney
coaches also have electrical outlets, meaning that you don't have to worry
about discharging your battery, either.
While the service runs today at 100 Kbps, the New York metro area will
certainly be one of the first to see higher-speed cell offerings or even
other forms of mobile wireless (cue Craig McCaw's entrance) allowing the
service to expand its speed over time.
Service runs $8 per trip or $40 per month for unlimited usage.