[Paleopsych] Time: How Spiritual Are You?

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Wed Oct 27 14:41:44 UTC 2004

How Spiritual Are You?
To find out, take this test, which is adapted from a personality inventory
devised by Washington University psychiatrist Robert Cloninger, author of
Feeling Good: The Science of Well-Being
Time, 4.10.25

   1. I often feel so connected to the people around me that it is like there is
no separation between us.  TRUE FALSE

   2. I often do things to help protect animals and plants from extinction.
TRUE FALSE

   3. I am fascinated by the many things in life that cannot be scientifically
explained.  TRUE FALSE

   4. Often I have unexpected flashes of insight or understanding while
relaxing.  TRUE FALSE

   5. I sometimes feel so connected to nature that everything seems to be part
of one living organism.  TRUE FALSE

   6. I seem to have a "sixth sense" that sometimes allows me to know what is
going to happen.  TRUE FALSE

   7. Sometimes I have felt like I was part of something with no limits or
boundaries in time and space.  TRUE FALSE

   8. I am often called "absent-minded" because I get so wrapped up in what I am
doing that I lose track of everything else.  TRUE FALSE

   9. I often feel a strong sense of unity with all the things around me.  TRUE
FALSE

   10. Even after thinking about something a long time, I have learned to trust
my feelings more than my logical reasons.  TRUE FALSE

   11. I often feel a strong spiritual or emotional connection with all the
people around me.  TRUE FALSE

   12. Often when I am concentrating on something, I lose awareness of the
passage of time.  TRUE FALSE

   13. I have made real personal sacrifices in order to make the world a better
place, like trying to prevent war, poverty and injustice.  TRUE FALSE

   14. I have had experiences that made my role in life so clear to me that I
felt very happy and excited.  TRUE FALSE

   15. I believe that I have experienced extrasensory perception.  TRUE FALSE

   16. I have had moments of great joy in which I suddenly had a clear, deep
feeling of oneness with all that exists.  TRUE FALSE

   17. Often when I look at an ordinary thing, something wonderful happens.  I
get the feeling that I am seeing it fresh for the first time.  TRUE FALSE

   18. I love the blooming of flowers in the spring as much as seeing an old
friend again.  TRUE FALSE

   19. It often seems to other people like I am in another world because I am so
completely unaware of things going on around me.  TRUE FALSE

   20. I believe that miracles happen.  TRUE FALSE

   SCORING: Give yourself one point for each TRUE answer and 0 points for each
FALSE answer.

   14 and above = highly spiritual, a real mystic; 12-13 = spiritually aware,
easily lost in the moment; 8-11 = spiritually average; could develop more
spiritual life if desired; 6-7 = a practical empiricist lacking
self-transcendence; 1-5 = highly skeptical, resistant to developing spiritual
awareness