[Paleopsych] death penalty

Michael Christopher anonymous_animus at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 19:24:09 UTC 2004

>>If, as a matter of fact, the death penalty does not
restrain or inhibit murder, would a person still hold
his view that the death penalty ought to be
retained?<<

--I think that fact would be suppressed quite
vigorously, since it would complicate moral certainty.
The death penalty FEELS right, to people who were
raised with a certain king of "tough love". It FEELS
wrong to others. Whether it works or not isn't the
issue in people's minds, and those in favor of capital
punishment will deny facts if facts say it doesn't
work. Especially those whose faith has gotten wrapped
up with politics. It's hard to admit you made a moral
mistake in God's name, and it FEELS wrong to back down
from an absolute position once you've sacrificed
anything substantial for it.