[Paleopsych] Meme 036: Frank Is Abandoning Reality

Werbos, Dr. Paul J. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Fri Oct 29 01:07:48 UTC 2004

At 05:59 AM 10/28/2004 -0400, Premise Checker wrote:
>Meme 036: Frank Is Abandoning Reality
>sent 4.10.28, 4:59 am Central War Time, the minute of his 60th birthday in
>Kansas City, Mo.
>
>"I first met Dean not long after my wife and I split up. I had just gotten
>over a serious illness that I won't bother to talk about, except that it
>had something to do with the miserably weary split-up and my feeling that
>everything was dead. With the coming of Dean Moriarty began the part of my
>life you could call my life on the road...."
>----------
>
>I am abandoning reality for fiction and will stop reading non-fiction
>books. I think I know pretty much, at least in outline form, what is
>actually known about human nature from the biological and social sciences.
>Novelists have a way of getting at the complexities of the human condition
>that scientists have not.

Something in this. Novelists are less constrained by the reinvented
colleges of cardinals.

But Pribram's book on Freud should not be underestimated here... and there
are other glimmers.
It is as much a matter of how one uses those sources as the sources themselves.

>So not having read much fiction since I read all twelve volumes of
>Dostoyevsky in the 1970s, I am returning to deepen my understanding. What
>aspects of our humanity may we be giving up as we take control of human
>nature through manipulating the genome, through nanotechnology,
>biotechnology, artificial intelligence, man-machine hookups? Will we
>become the emotionally flat robots depicted in science fiction novels and
>movies? Could our selves and our lives, instead, become deeper, even
>deeper than Beethoven in his last decade?

Good question. In fact, one of the all-pervasive fault lines out there today.
I suspect fears on those lines have a lot to do with Kerry not being in a
landslide situation today,
and with the Islam versus Europe divide (which in many ways is mirrored in
the Bush-Kerry divide).

Not robots, but faulty memes, inability to go from thesis and antithesis to
synthesis, are the immediate causes...

>I also want to know how human nature varies. Is the world converging to
>one system of thinking? Or has there been enough gene-culture coevolution
>of human populations--it's still taboo to say races, owing to lingering
>20th century egalitarianism--that there will be significant *internal*
>barriers to Western hegemony? As I said in my last meme, there has been a
>major reorientation of the dominant left-right polarity, from central
>planning vs. free market in the earlier twentieth century and equality vs.
>inequality in the later part to pluralism vs. universalism in this century.

See above. In Freudian terms... are we moving to an Ericsonian leap in
maturity, or a
collective nervous breakdown? I sure don't know.

>I'm asking for lists of your favorite novels, stressing non-Western
>literature, those that have depth of characterization and are worth
>rereading. (But are novels all alike, the medium being the message?) I've
>read all of the (University of Chicago) Great Books (except that I could
>only get through a quarter of War and Peace) but have read only one
>non-Western novel, Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima. I need to broaden my
>learning. So please send your lists. (I do NOT read poetry.) Books that
>appear on many lists are most likely to get read. I shall assume your
>permission to forward your lists, unless you tell me otherwise.

There are many too many.

Was a bit amused by Waley's Tao Te Ching, the other day. In some ways, I
like the
new fancy color Tao Te Ching with three translators better, but Waley has
important history.

Curt Benjamin's "silly" fantasy series captures some of the spirit of Chinese
and Golden Horde cultures.

The Creation of the Gods book (published in Beijing) made great bed-time
reading for my kids
a few years back.

Have you ever read Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus? I am appalled by how badly
the new Gnostic
introducer/interpreter screws it up... but it has some curious resonances.

But... Western style Novels written by nonWesterners?  None of the above
qualify.

And what is Western, anyway?

It is Asia other than Russia, plus Islam and Africa, or Native American?

That's hard. I don't know a lot IN that intersection of categories!

Satanic Verses by Rushdie? I haven't even gotten around to reading it;
there are other sources on that culture.

There ARE a few famous Novels from China and Japan, but I am not sure how
deep they go.
Popular romance stuff is the best known.

I remember a Chinese friend who once said "Science Fiction?
We have those Gung Fu movies..."

Maybe a hole in my education...
or maybe not.

Best,