[Paleopsych] grappling w/EP

David Smith dsmith06 at maine.rr.com
Fri Oct 29 02:43:26 UTC 2004

Alice

As I understand it (drawing on the work of Christopher Boehm) our common
ancestor with the chimpanzee was, in all likelihood, heavily into dominance
hierarchies.  Our stone age ancesestors, like nomadic hunter-gatherers
today, opposed dominance by deploying a counter-dominance strategy (the
whole group opposes any individual who tries to throw his weight around).
With the advent of a more settled life-style, and especially agriculture, we
reverted to ancient, despotic, chimpanzee-like ways.  So, I guess that this
would imply what we have the potential for dominance-hierarchies and
counterdominant anti-hierarchies.

David