[Paleopsych] Kerry and Armageddon

Werbos, Dr. Paul J. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Tue Sep 14 01:32:16 UTC 2004

At 04:44 PM 9/13/2004 -0700, Steve wrote:
>Ethanol is also snarly because it comes from
>corn, the production of which is presently
>heavily dependent on fossil fuels

Indeed -- the essential first step is only a first step. It is fortunate that
many of the necessary follow-ons require, not laws, but
a combination of basic research (where NSF-style
open research solicitations should be good enough, in principle --
though not trivial to manage right) and private sector efforts.

In Brazil, they seem to have enough ethanol... there are various ways to
get it...

But methanol is the bigger long-term option.

Not to mention electricity itself, per batteries. I am glad we don't need
to know
the future market shares of electricity versus methanol in "ideal"
car fuel mixes. We have work to do to maximize both areas.
If fuel flexibility laws lag, electricity will become more critical in
filling the hole.
And we have major crises in the US in supplying electricity cost-effectively.

But -- we may be able to import what we need from Mexico, before too long.
And get the wire technology from Brazil. Etc.

And -- the space options turn out to be more near-term and more relevant
than I would have believed
even just a year or two ago, when I was unaware of the most recent
developments.

Best of luck to us all...

    Paul